Sunday, July 5, 2009

4th of July at Lake Tahoe

We went on a day adventure yesterday! The Rocklin Jubilee, the main fire work show in Rocklin CA was canceled due to budget problems! (Go figure, budget problems in California!) So we loaded up the car in search for a good fireworks show. Grandma and Grandpa, Tyson, Katie and I jumped in the Subaru and took off for the mountains. We figured we would cruise up to Lake Tahoe to see the fireworks up there!

The Sierra Nevadas are awesome. They are one of my favorite places in California! On the way up we got a little side tracked. We pulled off on one exit to do a little exploring near a resort called Rainbow Lodge. A sweet little swim area on the side of the Yuba River!

We hopped back into the car and cruised down to Donner Lake. We drove down along the shore looking at the lake and trying to avoid getting hit by other cars because it was real busy! It was really pretty cool. I guess when the Donner party went through that winter there was 22 feet of snow! There are trees that they have found that the tops had been chopped off for fire wood and it was around 22 feet up! CRAZY...and really sad.

We grabbed some stuff for a picnic and we ended up in Tahoe right on the edge of the lake to watch the fireworks! It was sweet. You could see about three fireworks shows at any given time. There were a couple across the lake. Here is a really bad picture of the show. But the view was awesome live. Notice the almost full moon in the background, the fireworks and the light shining off the water!

IT WAS AWESOME! GO AMERICA!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a BLAST! Totally jealous about the fireworks! They look awesome from the pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, the fireworks show was canceled here in Fort Myers for the same reason! Cali is not the only one with budget problems I guess! I've seen the fireworks at Lake Tahoe one year, it was my favorite- that and Washington DC. I loved it! So pretty with the water too huh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie, I am so glad that you found me!! And I am so excited that I can now know everything happening with the Tidwells. :)

    How cute is your little family.

    ReplyDelete